Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Weekend In Review..

I'm borrowing my format for weekend in review posts from Josh Griffin, high school pastor at Saddleback, and his blog, morethandodgeball.com, which you should definitely read. 

Awaken Teaching Series:  The Book (series intro, week 1 of 8)

Sermon Summary:  We talked about the difference between knowing, believing, and living out the things that we find in the Bible.  It was particularly interesting to discuss the amount of entire songs some of us know word-for-word vs. the amount of Bible verses we can recite.  Mostly this sermon was to prepare us for the 6 main messages in "The Book" series which is part of the "40 Days in the Word" spiritual growth emphasis our whole congregation is participating in.  We opened the service with Building 429's music video for "Where I Belong."  We intro'd the sermon with the "The Book" bumper video made my HSM at Saddleback Church.  

Service length:  We've been doing a lot better job of not running out of time.  We still went over a little in first service. 

Fun stuff:  We played a  powerpoint game about kidnapping(I know, sounds fun), but it was one of those games where multiple people got every answer right.  It may be time to change up the game portion of Awaken.

Worship Setlists:  1st Service:  Happy Day, Everything Glorious, The Stand.
                          2nd Service: Break Free, Our God, Came To My Rescue.

I Won't Soon Forget:  I was occupied between services talking to some parents and our fantastic volunteers took care of all the between-service details(which they almost always do anyway).  This makes my job easier and I couldn't be more thankful for them and the work they do! 

Up Next:  The Book - Where Did It Come From and Can It Be Trusted? (Week 2 of 8)

1 comment:

Charles Johnstone said...

Excellent post. I love hearing what you are doing in worship and how we can reinforce it at home.